English book club - October-November 2022 Read: The love hypothesis

Todo el ocio aquí: literatura, reto lector, ebooks, música, conciertos, k-pop, juegos, deportes, etc.
Responder

September Book

The love hypothesis
38%
The hating game
38%
It happened one summer
25%

Votos totales: 8
WideAwake
Origen

Lectura de septiembre: Encuesta abierta

Pues eso, como el nombre indica, un club de lectura en inglés en el foro.

Aquí sería donde elegiríamos títulos, comentaríamos y demás.

@lamaladelanovela Habría alguna manera de hacer que Book Depository ayudara a financiar el foro mediante sus enlaces? :)
Última edición por WideAwake el 15 Oct 2022, 16:29, editado 11 veces en total.
WideAwake
Origen

FEBRUARY 2020 CANDIDATES

Suggestions:

- How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran
- Normal people by Sally Rooney
► Mostrar Spoiler
Última edición por WideAwake el 10 Feb 2020, 23:44, editado 3 veces en total.
WideAwake
Origen

February 2020

- Normal people by Sally Rooney

Connell and Marianne grow up in the same small town in the west of Ireland, but the similarities end there. In school, Connell is popular and well-liked, while Marianne is a loner. But when the two strike up a conversation - awkward but electrifying - something life-changing begins. Normal People is a story of mutual fascination, friendship and love. It takes us from that first conversation to the years beyond, in the company of two people who try to stay apart but find they can't.

Where to buy: https://www.bookdepository.com/Normal-P ... 0571334650

JANUARY 2020

- Number the stars by Lois Lowry

Ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen often think of life before the war. It's now 1943 and their life in Copenhagen is filled with school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers marching through town. When the Jews of Denmark are "relocated," Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be one of the family. Soon Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen's life.

Where to buy:

https://www.bookdepository.com/es/Numbe ... 0547577098
Última edición por WideAwake el 10 Feb 2020, 23:41, editado 4 veces en total.
WideAwake
Origen

Y pillado para poner donde se va comentando cada libro, por si alguien llega más tarde. :)
Tam
Egofloja
Contactar:

Yo me apuntaría si me cuadran los libros elegidos!
Imagen
Vuely

No creo poder terminar ninguno porque llevo años sin tocarlo, pero fichó.
Maud
Maud I, Emperatriz del Corte Inglés de España y Portugal

Presente! Gracias @WideAwake por abrir el post!

Este fin de semana me comprometo colgaros la lista casi completo de libros que he leído recientemente en inglés, que ahora mismo no me acuerdo. Os puedo decir que recuerdo Night, de Elie Wiesel (duro pero me encantó); Contempt de Alberto Moravia (el que menos me ha gustado de este autor, y eso que le adoro); The boy on the wooden box de Leon Leyson y A Woman in Berlin, que si mal no recuerdo se descubrió la autoría hace relativamente poco pero no recuerdo el nombre del escritor/a.

Nos leemos chicas!
Imagen

Autumn... The year's last, loveliest smile
usuario484727
Reina de Rancia

Yo creo que podemos hablar por aquí también en inglés, ¿qué os parece? Es que se ha subido el otro hilo para darle vidilla y creo que estaría guay usarlo también por este post. O por lo menos dejarlo como opción. Ya decís.
nobego82
Cruella de Vil

I'm in!!

Me flipa la idea. Es uno de mis propósitos de cada año, leer al menos un libro en inglés al mes y fracaso siempre miserablemente; revisando mi Goodreads, en 2019 han caído sólo cuatro... :red:
WideAwake
Origen

Don't worry @nobego82 !!!

We're talking about starting in January, after the holidays.

My first suggestion is: "We should all be feminists" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Mostly because is short, cheap and easy to find.

Of course, feel free to say more candidates!! ^_^
Nutty
Prenda Santa

Count me in! great idea
Here comes the sun
lauraginger
Prenda Santa

Okay, I'm gonna bundle up all the suggestions we've got so far so it's easier to keep track :ok:

- We should all be feminists (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie): mostly because it's short, cheap and easy to find. (WideAwake)

And Maud's list (I'm guessing she doesn't wanna re-read them, so maybe these can be "optional/extra" if anyone's up for it?):

- Night (Elie Wiesel): duro pero me encantó.
- Contempt (Alberto Moravia): el que menos me ha gustado de este autor, y eso que le adoro.
- The boy on the wooden box (Leon Leyson)
- A Woman in Berlin (Marta Hillers): que si mal no recuerdo se descubrió la autoría hace relativamente poco.
- The Nightingale (Kristin Hannah): sometimes it is hard to read it, but if you enjoy reading about IIWW it is a huge GO.

I hope I haven't missed any, and I'm gonna suggest "Educated" by Tara Westover. I've heard really really good things about it. In short, it's a memoir about a tough isolated childhood and the desire and need of a proper education.

So, for future additions, I'd suggest maybe copy pasting the list I've put in the spoiler below?
Or @WideAwake can put them up at the beginning of the thread as well, whatever makes things easier :guiño:
► Mostrar Spoiler
@Maud Now that I've seen The Nightingale is about two sisters, I've put two and two together and realised that they're making a movie of it! Dakota and Elle Fanning are gonna be playing the main roles. I think I'm gonna read it (sometime after the holidays) because it sounds really interesting, so if anyone else wants to join and discuss together let me know!
:move: :move:
Maud

Morning ladies! If you don't mind I'm going to do some lobby :looll:

@bri I know you are are spending some days off abroad, but I was wondering if you would like to join us here :red: @-Olimpia- what about you? Please if you want to comment with us feel free to do so!

Later today I'll write some suggestions as well! @WideAwake, nice recommendations! @lauraginger I don't know whether you have a kindle or not, but if you don't I can send you the link where I bought The Nightingale on amazon! Please let me know if you want it!

Have a lovely Saturday girls!
Imagen

Tarantela

Fichanding :jiji:

I don't have any recommendations, sorry. How is this going to work? Are we going to vote every month?
WideAwake
Origen

Thanks for the list @lauraginger !!!!! I added some extra recomendations of mine.

@Maud I'll try to find all the links to forum supporting shops such as ECI (is Amazon a patreon of ours?)

@Tarantela Hello! We will vote from the beginning of next week if possible, but in the meantime, feel free to say some books you'd like to read or whatever.
Maud

WideAwake escribió: 07 Dic 2019, 18:16 @Maud I'll try to find all the links to forum supporting shops such as ECI (is Amazon a patreon of ours?)
You're right! I didn't take this into account and you couldn't be more correct! By the way, I've never tought buying books on ECI's webpage; maybe the English books catalogue isn't that bad. I'll give it a try!

Girls, this afternoon while I was doing my groceries I came up with a title I found a couple of years ago when I was on the seek to discover new books. It's called Number the Stars and it'swritten by Lois Lowry. It's meant to be a book for children but I've just read some reviews and lots of people who have read it agree that it's more appropiate for adults rather than to children. Here's the plot summary:

In Nazi-occupied Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen is called upon for a selfless act of bravery to help save her best friend from a terrible fate.

“They plan to arrest all the Danish Jews. They plan to take them away. And we have been told that they may come tonight.”

It is 1943 and life in Copenhagen is becoming complicated for Annemarie. There are food shortages and curfews, and soldiers on every corner.

But it is even worse for her Jewish best friend, Ellen, as the Nazis continue their brutal campaign. With Ellen’s life in danger, Annemarie must summon all her courage to help stage a daring escape.

Inspired by true events of the Second World War, this gripping novel brings the past vividly to life for today’s readers.

Please girls, feel free to suggest any book you might want to read!
Última edición por Maud el 07 Dic 2019, 20:43, editado 1 vez en total.
Imagen

lauraginger
Prenda Santa

I've been meaning to get back to reading more, so I'm really excited for this :yuju:
I'm going home next weekend so I'll take a look at my books then and see if I have any interesting ones to add too!

Right now I'm reading "Hitman Anders and the meaning of it all" by Jonas Jonasson (author of "The 100-year-old man who climbed out of the window and disapeared). I wasn't looking for it, but it was one of the few English ones at the swap library of my faculty. I've only just started but so far it reads quite easily, I'll let you know how it goes!

Edito por typo :bag:
Última edición por lauraginger el 07 Dic 2019, 20:03, editado 2 veces en total.
:move: :move:
WideAwake
Origen

Looks like a very nice choice @Maud ! ^_^
Vuely

Yo hablo en mi idioma natal hasta que me vea con ánimos de hacerlo en inglés. No propongo porque hasta hoy solo he leído alguno para la carrera, uno de SyFy que me costó lo mío por la terminología y juveniles y de fantasía urbana, nada de lo que estoy viendo por aquí xD
Responder

Crea una cuenta o inicia sesión para unirte a la discusión

Necesitas ser miembro para publicar una respuesta.

Crear una cuenta

¿No eres un miembro? regístrate para unirte a nuestra comunidad
Los miembros pueden iniciar sus propios temas y suscribirse a los temas
Es gratis y solo toma un minuto

Registrarse

Registrarse

• Información

• Comparte en las redes